Sunday, April 24, 2005

Hypocrisy in America

I am an atheist, but I am accepting of the religions of others. Because of this I expect others with their religions to be accepting of me. Not only that but I expect them to accept the beliefs of any American because as Americans we are all free to choose whatever religion we like, if any. Not only are we free to choose our own religion but we are also free to express ourselves in any way that is not in conflict with the constitution, and if we object to the constitution we are entitled to petition for its alteration. What we as Americans are not allowed to do is to reject those from our contorted little world who do not conform to the small enclosed box that is our system of beliefs. We may not alter the constitution to exclude those with whom we do not agree. Also, as Americans, it is our obligation to uphold the current constitution, no matter its flaws, even if we are in the process of altering it. Webster’s definition of obligation is as follows: “Something that one is bound to do or forbear (as by law, conscience, or social pressure) : DUTY” and duty is defined as “RESPECT,” we, as Americans, the constitution and therefore all those under it. It is our civic duty as Americans to respect all those under the authority of the constitution, regardless of race, religion, sex or sexual orientation. Regardless of the fact that I am an atheist, I still go to church (mainly because my parents go to church and force me to go as well) but even so, I do respect Christianity and in some cases believe in it, but strictly as a philosophy. But today while the pastor was speaking on gay marriage he quoted a very interesting verse. He quoted Ephesians 5:22-31, and I can see how Christians could take that literally as “Marriage was meant to be between one man and one woman,” but then I looked a few lines below and can you guess what I saw? I saw a chapter of the Holy Bible titled “Slaves and Masters.” Using the same logic as before I can derive the following fact from the preceding statement: Slavery is okay and God meant for it to happen. But I can also be open minded and realize that just as with the first statement, there are alternatives to this. We are civilized now and we hire people to get work done. Just as slavery disappeared over the years, homosexuality has grown over the years. It is shown itself more and more over the years and it is about time that the world accepted it. Gays and lesbians are not going away, and the American (including Christians) people need to come to realize this. It is about time we lived up to our constitution and respected everyone who lives under it. Homosexuals are breaking no laws but those defined in the bible and as such should not be discriminated against by the United States government which has been separated from all religions.
The first amendment to the constitution of the United States clearly states the following: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion…” I might be mistaken but it seems to me that most of those objecting to gay and lesbian marriage are doing so because their preachers tell them that it is wrong. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not saying all Christians are against homosexual marriage. Some are the complete opposite and I commend them as such. But most of those objecting to same sex marriage are Christians, George W. Bush being one of these. It is already known that Bush is a Christian and believes in the bible, he reads it every day and has stated this publicly. On the other hand he has cleverly concealed from the public his views on certain political issues pertaining to Christianity, but his actions paint a pretty clear picture of his beliefs.
It is time that we as Americans voted not with our religion but with what is right. It is time we voted with regard for the basic morals set down for us by the founding fathers.

No comments: